Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hotspotting


Time for a rant! On a local fly fishing forum under the "stories and reports" board I wrote of my buddy catching his first fish with a fly rod and gave a short report about the river conditions and how it was fishing. I think I wrote something like, "the Weber above Coalville." From Coalville upstream to Wanship the distance is approximately 8 miles, that's straight line distance! I immediately got attacked for "hotspotting," telling the "lurkers" out in internet land and all the people who may see my post where the fish are biting. My response is go fuck yerself! I don't understand how you hotspot a section of river that is the most popular reach of water for flyfishers. There is a long, straight, dirt road about a mile in length that has 4 or 5 access points onto private land. Each access point has a fence hopper (ladder over the landowners fence) with a sign that reads something like, "blue ribbon trout fishery," and "the owner of this land has graciously allowed fishing here, please respect the property," or something to that effect. And this is a secret?!? How am I hotspotting a river that has trampled down trails from the fence hopper to the water, signs everywhere, earth tamped down from all the cars and people who park and fish...As Hunter S. Thompson said, "there is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge." The forum cops that accuse people of hotspotting an area like this must surely be huffing ether! The funny part is how many people viewed the post...one post had 5000 views and 80 responses but was started 2 years ago. My post? After only 1 day it had over 2000 views and 70 responses! Now, I can understand the whole argument. There is an area an hour from here that not many people know about. My first time there my buddy and I had the entire stream to ourselves, loads of slutty fish rising to any dry we threw, and, after awhile, we both thought we were trespassing, the fishing was so good (we were legal). I won't go posting about that place, I'd like to keep it on the downlow. But the Weber River? There ain't a section on the Weber that hasn't been hit by every type of fisherman, bait, gear, and fly. After awhile, the whole argument got funny...people getting mad online...typing in all caps...douchebags. I threatened next time I may just post the GPS coordinates of where I go, that'd really bring on pain from all the asshole forum cops. Surprisingly, I didn't get booted off the site. Done, glad to get that off my chest, sorry for the language...the image above, by the way, must be why all these turds are afraid of hotspotting. Combat fishing the Kenai River.

1 comment:

  1. it's a touchy subject. don't sweat it. bout the only streams it seems that are o.k. to talk about are the lower and middle provo and the green

    ReplyDelete