Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Works in progress...

This is one in progress I'm working on for my mom. Have never done snow before this one. I've been learning some about underpainting with acrylic and really like the idea of starting this way. When it's finished I plan on spraying it so it looks like it's snowing. That brown thing in the front is gonna be a bench overlooking the stream. Happy with the way this one is turning out but I wish I could get myself to be a little more "free" and no try to put so much detail in the background.
This is the first acrylic I've done, followed along with Jerry Yarnell on TV...I'm so past Bob Ross and his little coke nail! I will do this one again and add some cattle in the grass. I know, the cut banks look a way too symmetrical, but, hey, it was the first try! When I do this one over I'll underpaint in acrylic and finish the whole thing with oil. I like the sheen from oil and the way the colors hold...acrylic, I have learned will dry a little darker.
This one is from a photo I took on the Kenai River in Alaska a couple years ago. This would be just above the Russian River Ferry boat crossing looking upriver. Still gonna do some work on it, especially in the foreground. Really happy with the way the trees on the far bank turned out. I was also pleased with people knowing where it was...I showed Sterling a picture of this painting I took with my phone and he knew right where this was taken. Instead of painting on a regular canvas I went to home depot and bought a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" masonite. I had them cut it into 12"x12" tiles and scrubbed each one down with acetone after giving them a rough sanding to remove any oils in the wood. Costed me 3 bucks and got 8 canvases out of it. I plan on doing this more with smaller pictures...seems like any bigger and they may start to warp. I don't know if my technique of prepping the board was proper but it's working so far.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Phil. Does your mom know about the piece you're doing for her? I somehow get the impression she does.

    Love your work--you amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My picture is look awesome...thank you so much for painting it form me. Your work just gets better and better. Keep it up...you need to start advertising and selling.

    ReplyDelete