Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bugs

Haven't had a chance to get out and fish lately, 'cept to get skunked chasing wipers at Willard a couple days ago. I HAVE been THINKIN' about fishing, though. I have also been tying flies like crazy, probably because I noticed I have WAY too many undressed hooks laying around. Sorry for the pic quality but these feller's are tiny.Here are a few of the latest:



Barr's Emerger. This is one of my favorite patterns. I tied a couple dozen with and without beadheads.


This is the rootbeer neon gnat. I'd been tying them in olive and pink and have done well with them in the fall and winter for both whities and browns.


I am a big fan of Tim Tollett of Frontier Anglers in Dillon, MT. This is one he came up with called the MVP. Don't really know what they represent with the body shape and hump but they look pretty sexy. I tied them in the usual PMD and BWO colors and a few others in attractor colors.

MVP recipe:

Tail--z-lon, I used rust and olive for PMD and BWO and then different shades of dun for the others.

Body--2 or 3 strands of krystal flash in yellows, olive, pink, chartreuse.

Rib--fine silver wire.

Hump--McFly foam. I used pink, dead egg, flourescent green, and yellow.

Legs--dun hackle tied wet style.

Collar--dubbing of yer choice.

Bead--silver.

I think these look best tied on Daiichi 1150 hooks. Tim advertises them in larger sizes for targeting steelhead. I am working on an upside down variation with chain eyes for carp.

For some reason I got into a midge mood...wife at work, kids at school and me at home all day filled this box in a couple hours. Disco's, crystal dips, tailwater tiny's, etc. I also filled up a couple stonefly boxes with much needed nymphs. Now I just need to get out and use some of these little bastards!



1 comment:

  1. Why don't you think about marketing your flys, Phil. You are really good at this (almost as good as you are at painting...hint...hint!)

    ReplyDelete